Friday, January 18, 2013

Peter has 'fly outs'

I thought it might be worthwhile to post an update on my job market adventures and give a little bit of a sense to people of what comes next.

So I currently have four invitations for campus visits.  This is the second and final round of interviewing in the hiring process. I had four first round interviews and they all generated 'fly outs,' so we are very encouraged.

I have campus visits at:

  • University of Nebraska, Lincoln (philosophy) January 24-26
  • The Ohio State University (philosophy) January 31-February 2
  • Catholic University of America (philosophy) February 14-16
  • Baylor University (Great Texts Program) February 24-26

Departments typically fly out 3 or 4 candidates. After the campus visits, the departments make a decision and contact their first choice and make an offer. (Often, second and third choice candidates don't get any news, in case the first choice doesn't work out and they want to be able to offer it to second choice, etc.) The candidate usually has some time to think, etc. If I get more than one offer, I'll have to decide... There is also typically a bit of negotiation (especially if you have more than one offer) regarding things like research funds, relocation funds, teaching reductions, etc.  I'd love to be able to have offer in hand and accepted by early March. That would be lovely!

The campus visits typically involve the following elements:

  • Job talk: this is typically at the heart of the visit. I give a (typically) hour academic talk on some aspect of my research. This is not a general overview of my work/interests, but a specific in depth example. The lecture is then followed by (typically) a one hour Q&A/ discussion period. (At Nebraska, I send my paper in advance, they all read it, I give a 15 minute framing of the paper, and then we have a Q&A discussion for 1 hour and 45 minutes!) The lecture will be attended by all the faculty in the department, as well as (typically) grad students and others interested. (It is publicly announced, etc.) I will likely be giving the same talk at all four places.
  • Meeting with faculty: I will also meet with the faculty at the departments, sometimes as a group in a somewhat less formal interview style, sometimes with individual faculty members who are interested in my work, sometimes in the context of breakfasts, lunches, or dinners or a reception following the lecture.
  • Meeting with graduate students: I will also meet with some graduate students in the department to discuss my research and teaching interests, and for me to learn about the grad students and their interests, etc. (This likely won't happen at Baylor, since the Great Texts Program doesn't have grad students.)
  • Meeting with University Administrators: I will also meet with administrators (e.g., Dean or Provost or some such)...they tell me about the university, etc., ask me some polite questions about my research etc and interests, etc.
  • Teaching demonstration: This is only happening at Baylor. I will be guest teaching one of their undergraduate discussion centered seminars. More typical is for me to be able to choose what I teach, but at Baylor, they will want me to lead seminar on whatever Great Text they are doing at the time in the class. They said I will have a couple options (e.g., in this seminar they're discussing Homer, in this other, they are discussing Dante...). They know and acknowledge this is likely to be more outside my comfort zone...but if I took this position my teaching would involve the Great Texts core seminars as well as history of science, so...they want to see me in action. 
  • Learning about the area: Typically the department makes an effort to help you learn about the area, housing, schools, entertainment and culture, etc.
[I should mention, I have applied to a few late posted positions, as well, so it is possible I may have further interviews...see the side column for a link to my 'job market map,' etc.]



1 comment:

Ashley Rose said...

Congratulations, and good luck! An impressive list of institutions.