Saturday, February 2, 2013

Ohio State

Just got back from my campus visit to Ohio State.

I think it went very well. I got a nice tour of some of the Columbus neighborhoods as well as the university near the Philosophy department (they are in University Hall on the Oval).  The faculty seem a friendly, interesting bunch, with a rather high proportion of youngish associate and full professors (they hired 7 people all at once 7 years ago).  And there are a decent number with preschool, elementary, and middle school aged kids. 

The department has a rather strong history of philosophy dimension already in place and attracts graduate students interested in early modern philosophy (attractive). And it seems the grad students are happy with the faculty (Important). The chair of the department and the associate dean I met with were very helpful and the College of Arts and Sciences has quite a nice new faculty 'start up' package, as far as I can tell. Conversations were pleasant and dinners (and a dim sum brunch) quite tasty.

Two particularly pleasant moments:  (i) I enjoyed some Laphroaig with three of the (shall we say) 'higher stamina' faculty at a cocktail bar after the post-talk reception and faculty dinner. (ii) a piece of pumpkin pie and an hour of catching up with my aunt Mary and cousin Jenn, before driving back to Pittsburgh.

The job talk went very well, I think. And I received a number of compliments and encouraging signs of interest from some of the faculty  So I am as pleased as I could be and cautiously optimistic. They have one more candidate to fly out next week and said they should make a decision by mid-February.  

I'm happy to have a full week and a half off now at home with Chezarae and the kids.

Catholic University of America visit is February 14-16, and Baylor is February 24-26.  

1 comment:

The Machovsky's said...

Very exciting and encouraging! You continue to be in our prayers. Thanks for the update!